Previous Joints

Wednesday 6 February 2013

And Here We Go




I’ve told myself time and time again that I will never, ever, start a blog - yet here I am. And here it is – my blog about films.


First things first, I am a terrible writer. This isn’t self deprecation, this is fact. Not only I’m I a terrible writer, I don’t even profess to be an expert, of any kind, on film, film history, film literature, film language or film anything. I am just a keyboard warrior, giving his opinion (I can’t stress this enough) on the films that have inspired me to write. But, to be fair to myself, I do have a degree in Media Production and majored in film - but, again, I’m no expert.

With the above said, film does mean a hell of a lot to me. Some of my most important memories involve a film. The first film I ever remember watching was Crocodile Dundee. I could barely speak English at the time, but I have vivid memories of me, my two sisters, my mum and dad laughing our heads off. I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen that film since, but the memory of my family gathered together laughing is a powerful and important one to me.

Another early film experience I remember was me and my Dad watching the Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Commando. Thinking back now, it was a bloody violent film for a 7 year old to watch, but it wasn’t the over the top action, or camp one liners or the signature brilliant bad acting by Arny that I remember – no it was spending time with my (late) dad.

So, film is all about the emotion for me and I hope to share my opinion on some old and new pictures.

Another thing, I’ll try not to write about films I’ve only seen once, simply because, knowing me, I’ll change my opinion after the second watch. I thought Christopher Nolan’s Inception was our generation’s Godfather on first viewing, until I watched it a second time.

Also, I’d love guest bloggers who, like me, are not film experts, but are passionate about films and want to contribute to the blog.

If you do end up reading this, thank you for your time.